Named for local 6th century Saint Torannan whose feastday is celebrated on the 12th August The beautiful beach at Baile Thorannan is between Sheeplands & the Killard Nature Reserve on the Ulster way.
The lovely beach overlooking Gunns Island was a popular swimming beach since Victorian times. PLEASE LIKE Ballyhornan residents’ Facebook site where they are campaigning for their beach to gain ‘EU Bathing Water Status’ Visit Ballyhornan Residents Facebook Site
Named after 6th century Saint Torannan whose feast is celebrated on the 12th August and who may have been a local man. He went onto replace St Conghal as Abbot of Bangor and later brought Christianity and literacy to the Picts and helped Colmbanus start the missions that converted the barbarian Germans, French and Anglo-Saxons.
Baile Thorannan sits between Sheeplands and the Killard Nature Reserver on the Ulster way. see Ulster Way
Importing and Exporting from Ballyhornan in the 1820's
The parliamentary papers of 1837 described the little harbour as having a small pier at the foot of Ballyhornan village, erected by a local corn merchant for Ballyhornan and his own accommodation, but it is only sufficient for a vessel of small tonnage. The fishing boats are drawn up on the beach.
Boats would come in to pick up milled corn from the local mills like Sheepland and Killard and in return left mainly coal or other ordered items such as slate for roofs. The harbour was in disuse by 1850 and all that is left are its old stones.
From the Down Recorder newspaper Saturday 31st August 1929, page 3.
The new North of Ireland telephone service to New York through the new cable via Ballyhornan and the Isle of Man and then by wireless telephony from Rugby, opened on Monday. A three-minute call costs £9 6s, and every minute extra £3 2s. The time is charged from the moment the persons begin to speak. During the tests the voices in New York were heard with perfect clearness.
In 1941 the RAF base around Ballyhornan and stretching up to Bishopscourt opened.