We love welcoming visitors and newcomers to this area where we enjoy excellent cross–community relations.
Saint Nicholas’ Church is on the Kildare Street. Entering Ardglass from Downpatrick, turn right into Hill Street. At the top of the steep hill, turn left into Kildare Street. Saint Nicholas’ Church is on the right.
There was a Church recorded on this site in 1306 but was in ruins in 1622 following 300 years of eventful history in Ardglass. Saint Nicholas' was built on the original site in 1813. When the old walls were removed, a hand-bell with an ivory handle and an altar stone were found. The ancient holy water stoup was removed to a part of the graveyard.
They also found an oblong stone, which is now inserted into a wall of the porch and is one of the oldest memorial stones in Ulster. It has a shield of arms with some curiously raised letters of Old English characters:- " Live to die, And fer the Lord, Amend yr life, And sin no mor for dethe is Yr rewarde. Mari Janes, Thomas Janes AD 1585."
In 1839 the north transept was added, as the congregation was increased by the numbers of coastguards and maritime official on duty in the port. In 1848 the original slated spire fell over in a thunderstorm. Its replacement is the present stone spire built in 1852. Vivienne Draper, the daughter of the Rev. A.O. Draper, published an autobiography of her life in Ardglass in the 1990s titled The Straight Furrow.
Local linked organisations;
Kildare Street, Ardglass, County Down
+44(0)28 4461 3101